Family Involvement Newsletter
Parents Right to Know
Elementary and Secondary Education Act requires all LEAs to notify parents of children in Title I schools that they have the right to request and receive timely information on the professional qualifications of their children’s classroom teachers. The request should be in writing to the principal.
Further information is available on the Buncombe County Schools’ website under Title I. http://www.buncombeschools.org/
District TITLE I PARENT INVOLVEMENT Policy SUMMARY
The board of education believes that the education of children is an ongoing cooperative partnership between the home and the school. Parents are their children’s first teachers; therefore, the continued involvement of parents in the educational process is most important in fostering and improving educational achievement. School system officials shall strive to support parents and provide parents with opportunities to become involved in the programs offered by the Title I schools. The board encourages parents to participate in the design and implementation of the programs and activities in order to increase the effectiveness of the school system’s Title I program in helping students meet state and local achievement standards.
Buncombe County Schools builds capacity for strengthening parental involvement by: 1. Helping parents, school staff and community volunteers understand the importance of parent involvement
2. Helping parents understand national, state and local standards
3. Sending information and communication to parents in an easy to understand format
4. Providing materials and training to parents to assist with their child’s education
5. Including parents on School Councils, School Improvement Teams, and District Parent Councils
6. Inviting parents to conference with teachers about their children’s school performance, to attend meetings to discuss programs and activities, and to consult in the design and implementation of programs particularly those supported with Title I funds
7. Encouraging parents to volunteer in and visit classrooms
8. Coordinating and integrating parental involvement strategies of the district and schools with parental involvement strategies of other programs
9. Involving parents in the activities of schools
10. An annual review of this policy and of the strategies for parental involvement occurs annually in collaboration with parents, school and district staff.
Complete Policy (#1320) is available on District Website under Board of Education.
Title I Staff:
Title I Teacher:
Title I Assistants: