To print click here
Question Stems for Baggy Books
As our students are advancing in their reading levels, it is important to ensure that they are comprehending what reading. Here are some questions that you can use when reading with your student each night:
- Is this a book that tells as tory or gives information? How do you know?
- What do you already know about...?
- What do you notice about the illustrations?
- What do you hope to find out by reading this? (nonfiction)
- What has happened in the text so far? (Check for understanding)
- What do you wonder about...?
- Why do you think ___ is happening?
- How do you think the character feels? What in the text makes you think that?
- What is the problem in this story? How do you predict it will be solved?
- Who is telling this story? Show me in the book how you can tell.
- What are we learning from the illustrations?
- What questions do you still have about...? (nonfiction)
- What did you learn about...?
- Why do you think...?
- Why do you think the author wrote this? (What was the author’s purpose?)
- How was the problem in the story solved?
- Retell what happened in the story. (Main events of beginning, middle and end)
- What is this story mainly about?
- What problems did the characters have? How did they solve them?
- What were the lessons learned in the story?
- Where did this story happen? (setting)
- Does this story remind you of any other stories we have read? How?