Building Readers Parent Newsletter
Parents Right to Know:
North Carolina Parent Information Resource Center(NCPIRC):
Phonemic awareness games and activities
Early literacy screening, tools, activities
Teaching fluency through poetry
Online vocabulary development
Tip of the Month:
Do you work? Have you been wondering how you could volunteer even though you work? Here are some suggestions:
1. Collect and send in materials the teachers need for a project.
2. Put together a list of community resouces that support what the class is studying.
3. Type students' papers so they can be "published" as a book.
4. Prepare food, clothing or a toy from a country the class is studying.
5. Recruit other parents to volunteer.
6. Attend school events held in the evening.
7. Put together "Welcome Kits" for families new to the school.
8. Record yourself reading books on tape for students to use at home.